Image by UnpublishedGuy
What is it about Easter that makes for such an enjoyable holiday? If you’re religious, it is a time to remember the resurrection of Jesus Christ; a time for celebration, renewal and rebirth. But for the kid in all of us, it’s a time to indulge in chocolate-fuelled hunts with the Easter Bunny, enjoy the first sun of the year and, best of all, gorge ourselves on delicious Easter eggs.
It seems that advertising companies have cottoned on to our insatiable appetite for those hollow vessels of chocolaty delight, and every year they put out some of the funniest, fun, creative ads to help pedal the wares of countless confectioners.
So without further ado, here is a selection of the best Easter egg TV adverts for your viewing delectation.
1) The Mousetrap- This list wouldn’t be complete without at least a mention of the fantastic ‘Goo’ Crème Egg campaign that has been gracing out screens since 2008. Whatever the cause of the animosity felt towards the delicious, nougat-filled treats we may never know, but it is an undeniable joy to see these adorable self-destructive eggs meet their stickiest of ends. Here is a classic example.
2) Posh Kids- Let it not be said that this list ignores the classics. If there’s one thing that Coco Pops, Baby-Bell and Milky Bar have taught us, it’s that a catchy theme can help no end when selling goods. Enter this jaunty tune from Cadbury.
3) The Easter Bunny- More weirdness from Easter’s history now, as these cute bunny rabbits cluck, ribbit and trumpet their way through 30 seconds of iconic US television.
4) Flopsy- A modern gem now from the surprisingly enjoyable and humorous Aldi adverts. It may seem an innocuous piece of telly at first, but Flopsy the dog is merely biding his time to steal the show with his adorable puppy eyes.
5) Mini Egg Rain – Displaying a flagrant disregard for the safety of thousands of people, a shower of Easter eggs rain down on an inexplicably-joyous town of people. Ignoring the massive clean-up operation, the streets running brown with melted chocolate, and a rather large bill to the TV advertising companyresponsible, this is a rather colourful and creative ad.
But what do you think? Have we missed your favourite Easter egg advert off our list? Got a hidden gem of a video that just needs to be seen? Let us know in the comments below.
- License: Creative Commons image source
Grant Bailey is a writer for Space City. Though specialising in social media and digital marketing, he is partial to an Easter egg or two.